Besides painful inconvenience, constipation can be a very dangerous for your health. A study confirmed that those who experience frequent and severe constipation have higher risk of kidney failure and chronic kidney disease.
The researchers say that the link between the constipation and the kidney disease lies in the changes in gut bacteria and inflammation that is caused by slow moving food in the digestive system.
Around 42 million Americans suffer from this condition. This means that around 42 million of people are potentially at risk for kidney disease.
Today in this article we will present you 8 homemade remedies for preventing and treating constipation.
- Sesame seeds. Sprinkle some sesame seeds in your yogurt, salad or smoothie. The sesame seeds will soften your stool. It is believed that this solution was used by Amish and Chinese populations.
- Lemon water. This simple solution can stimulate the digestive system and flush off the toxins form the body. It is recommended to drink a glass of water with fresh lemon juice each morning.
- Blackstrap molasses. Eating only a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses before bed is an excellent way to move your bowels.
- Kimchi, sauerkraut and yogurt are probiotics, which have healthy, live bacteria that helps in preventing chronic constipation and rebalance gut bacteria. Also they contain short- chain fatty acids that make the stool to pass easier.
- Besides probiotics there are prebiotics. This group includes bananas, onions and garlic. Authority nutrition explains that these prebiotics can improve the bowel movement by feeding healthy gut bacteria.
- Prunes are rich in fiber and also contain a natural laxative known as sorbitol. Eat 7 medium sized prunes twice a day if you suffer from chronic constipation.
- The conception vessel 6 pressure point known as the Sea of Qi, is located three fingers below the belly button. Modern reflexology advices to firmly press this point holding it for 30 seconds to stimulate the bowels. Breathe normally and keep your eyes closed.
- When you feel constipated, inhaling some essential oil may be helpful. Rosemary, lemon, orange, fennel, sweet basil and peppermint essential oil can help you a lot.